Sunday, March 13, 2011

Painting along with Johannes

Hi,  Today Johannes did a pastel demo on the webinar.  I decided to 'take it up a notch,' and painted along with him.  Wow, it was a challenging experience in a lot of ways.  To begin with, since he was not aware that someone was painting along with him, he just dove right in, using the sketch he had drawn prior to the demo.  So, I was forced to paint, and draw, and compose, all at the same time.  It was also a race for time to try and keep up with him and his pastel color choices, as he quickly alternated between his colors. We spent about an hour and a half on this painting. Painting this scene drove home his suggestions and lessons, especially as they related to planning value masses, and using abstract designs, rather than painting small detail.  You can especially see this in the dark trees in the background.  I also learned a couple of fun things about painting water - and submerging rocks (though I'm not sure if they show up too well here). 

On a different note:  My church has asked me to paint a mural in the baptistery.  I will make an effort to let you in on how that is coming along, from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment